Tuesday 9 December 2014

Hyacinth, Iris, Violet...my blossoms for life

Out of 26 ...it had to be 3. 

A town in the back of beyond
A chance encounter
Our eyes locked and then I broke the gaze
I smiled as I turned away
I knew the moment I saw him
That he was mine and I was his
I have looked back so many times and wondered
Was it my destiny or did I choose my own fate?


Lust. Foolishness. Lack of direction.
It could never have spelt a good beginning
My gut always told me he wasn't right
I ignored it
I fell in love and  stayed in love
Long after it made sense to
I saw happily ever after, I wanted happily ever after
I was trying to fill a gaping hole
It only grew


Late nights
Broken promises
Abuse and pain
Tears
Desperation
A mother whilst I was a child myself
My life in another child's hands
I was never safe
None of us were
How could we be?

The day he told me we had to talk
I had a sinking filling.. I already knew
The writing had been on the wall for longer than I cared to remember
Wishing I had stopped, read the signs and run ...was futile
In an instant my life changed forever
Anger
Disgust
Regret
Crippling Fear


Almost 2 decades later
Many bruises. On my skin. On my heart.
My dignity in shreds
The sanctity of marriage little more than a humourless joke
Years of lies and betrayal
Telling myself it was the best thing for the kids
The best thing for me..surely?
So I stayed
He owed it me
To us
But now I realise that I owe it to myself
To face the truth
That all I get for my naivety is this pathetic little bouquet


It could have been S
For Saffron
It could have been D
For Daisy
It could have been A
For Aster
I would have settled for any of those 3 
Or any other 3 in fact
They don't spell a three letter plague
I have often wondered when the precise moment was
That I received my tiny bouquet of toxic flowers
Seemingly sweet
Deceivingly beautiful

But out of the 26 it had to be 3... 

And now we co-exist 
They are my friend and my foe
Giving me strength whilst destroying me everyday
A bitter irony I acknowledge daily
But they are an inextricable part of me
There's no running
No hiding
No wishing it away
They are now my blossoms for life...

Hyacinth, Iris, Violet.

No comments:

Post a Comment